Rules, Tips & Tricks For The Joker Card in Rummy
Joker, the movie featuring the popular supervillain from DC Comics, has been making a lot of news lately. While the movies feature a new take on the character, the comics usually showed Joker as a sinister criminal who would carry Joker cards as an identification card as well as a weapon.
Well, don’t be surprised when we tell you that the game of rummy also allows you to use the joker card as a weapon. Sounds interesting? Read on.
As we all know, a standard deck of playing cards comes with 52 cards in total. While people are aware of the 52 number and face cards, there are also 2 printed joker cards in each deck that most people do not know what to do with.
That being said, the joker is an extremely part of games like rummy, where using the joker cards the right way can pave the way for a player to win. On the other, ignoring or not using the joker cards effectively can mean a likely defeat. There is a bit of irony here as well since the joker card is effective only when used in conjunction with other cards.
So, we have compiled a list of all rules, tips and tricks to help you make the most of the joker cards. Go ahead, absorb and practice the next time you play rummy!
Two Types of Jokers
We discussed the fact that each deck of playing cards has two printed jokers, but did you know that rummy can have jokers apart from the printed ones too? Yes, it’s true!
Hence, there are two types of jokers in rummy. Two printed jokers, and then the designated joker, called wild card joker or cut joker. This joker is unique in every game. Any card can be used as the joker card for that game, as long as it is selected in advance at the beginning of each rummy game.
The Significance of Joker in Rummy
The joker card plays an important role in making the game of rummy faster and more interesting. Do note that in most online rummy platforms, there is no printed joker. Rather, the wild card joker is used as the joker in the game.
Using the joker
Playing with a joker does make the game faster but easier. Therefore, all of your rummy skills are still needed to be applied even if you are lucky and get the joker in your hand. Here are the complete set of rules:
- One can use a joker card to form a sequence as well as a set.
- A joker cannot be used to extend a quadruplet. For example, if a player has four suits of Kings, then as per the rules of rummy the player cannot use the joker card to extend it into a quintuplet.
- However, the joker card can be used to create or extend any sequence.
- The joker card can be used only once in a game. For example, if you have two possible sequences that can be completed by using the joker card, you will need to choose only one of these sequences.
- It is a good practice to use the joker card to form sequences with high-value cards so that the leftover cards are of lower value and do not impact your score.
- Finally, an important rule that is often forgotten – if a player discards a joker, then no other player can pick the same.